1 reply to this topic

#1 Wilson18

Wilson18

Administrator

• root
  • 112 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Birmingham

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:16 PM

In this tutorial, I will be showing you how you can install and set up a Minecraft Server on CentOS 6.5. To do this, you will need to either have access to a VM or a Dedicated Server by ssh or be sitting in front of one. This tutorial will be based on a clean installation of CentIOS 6.5. Once you have done this and logged in as root, you will need to make sure to update  all packages on it. 

yum -y update

Now that your server is up to date, you will need to install Java, nano and screen. 

yum install -y java-1.6.0-openjdk nano screen

Now that you have done this, you should go over to minecraft.net and download the latest minecraft server.jar. The one I have is https://s3.amazonaws...erver.1.7.9.jar. We can download this by typing

wget https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Download/versions/1.7.9/minecraft_server.1.7.9.jar

Now that we have this downloaded, we can go and create a folder to store our minecraft files in. 

mkdir minecraft

We can then transfer the file we downloaded to this folder and change its name

mv minecraft_server.1.7.9.jar minecraft/mc.jar

This will move the file to the minecraft folder and name it mc.jar. Next, we may aswell move to this directory

cd minecraft

Now we have to make sure that the file is executable.

chmod +x mc.jar

We should now just create a new session of Screen so that we can access our MC server at a later date.

screen

We are now ready to start up our minecraft server

java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar mc.jar nogui

The two occasions where 1024M comes up is the amount of memory we are providing to the server. This can be changed to whatever you like. 

If we ever need to close the ssh connection, next time we connect, all we have to do is type 

screen -r

To connect to our old minecraft connection and should be allowed to make any minecraft commands.

• MiguelOl and Rolandcalm like this

List what you read?

Check me out on: YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Google+

#2 Shelton

Shelton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:20 AM

Can you add me on skype? Just made a MC server, stopped it and now i need help starting it up again

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CentOS 6.5, Minecraft